A bit of background...
Hello! I’m Emma. I offer Yoga classes, One-to-One sessions, Small Group sessions (for birthdays, treats or groups of friends), Workshops and Retreats. My aim is to send you away with a feeling of well-being, freedom and ease in the physical body, the mind and, of course, the heart.
I studied Dance at university and upon graduation started out working as a Professional Dancer, touring around the UK and parts of Europe performing in large Operas at some fantastic venues including Glyndebourne, The Royal Opera House, The Royal Albert Hall & in Paris, Lille, Dijon, Ghent & Antwerp.
During this time, working and travelling as a Dance Artist, Yoga helped to keep me grounded, sane and supple; it also helped me to know myself more deeply. I realised that I enjoyed spiritual practice being at the heart of my life and found that I was able to combine this with my passion for movement. Movement and Dance to me had always been a way of expressing freedom and joy as well as a way to liberate myself from tension. Yoga was a way to connect to both the light and the dark in my own soul, letting it all be felt in its rich fullness & channeling meaning through motion. It’s this honest connection to life itself (being human) that I feel speaks to my students the most and can be very life-affirming and healing…
Yoga as a career...
Dance is difficult to sustain as a full-time pursuit. As I had practiced yoga for more than 10 years, the move towards teaching was a natural career step and I commenced training with Claire Missingham (also a former Dancer). In 2009 I received a 200hr teaching certificate and went on to become one of Claire’s assistants, a cover teacher at Triyoga London & a TT Mentor Assistant for her 2014 students. Meanwhile, I also ran many classes and workshops across Surrey and Sussex. In 2018 I received my Yoga Alliance Senior Yoga Teacher (SYT) accreditation. In addition to principal training in Vinyasa Flow, I have also undertaken trainings and workshops in a variety of styles with Shiva Rea (Vinyasa Flow), Tias Little (Hatha), Sianna Sherman (Anusara), Sarah Powers (Yin Yoga), Max Strom, Ana Forrest (Forrest Yoga), Uma-Dinsmore Tuli (Womb Yoga and Yoga Nidra) and developed a daily meditation practice with Bhante Bodhidhamma (Vipassana Meditation) & with the Triratna Buddhist Community.
My journey has led me here...
I am continually fascinated by the positive effect of Somatic bodywork for people suffering with or in recovery from CPTSD (Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), PTSD & ACE (adverse childhood experiences), as well as for those debilitated by stress, anxiety, overwhelm illness & injury. My direct experience of the above conditions affords me ample insight into the ways that these condition can dominate & debilitate. I am passionately committed to sharing that which has been of real comfort, joy and value to me in the way of tools for healing & helping those with these conditions. In particular, years of exploration of practices like The Feldenkrais Method, Alexander Technique, Hanna Somatics & Skinner Releasing Technique have been profoundly therapeutic for me and I weave aspects of these very pleasant and enjoyable tools into many of my classes.
“Though the road’s been rocky it sure feels good to me.”
I'm an Artist at heart...
I am deeply inspired by a love of music, poetry, imagery & metaphor & it is my joy to lace sessions with the artistry of language and sound. I aim to do so mindfully, delicately & with awareness so that what is offered is a subtle enrichment that inspires, reconnects & uplifts. I am full of gratitude to my students for celebrating my creativity & welcoming me home to myself in this way. It is such a gift from them, to me, that they show up at my classes, workshops, retreats & trainings – thank you! I welcome them and invite you to come home to yourselves too as you step onto the yoga mat today, tomorrow or whenever you are called. Begin with the BREATH….why not take a deep one now?
‘You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection’
The Official Stuff
- Currently training in Yoga for Healing and Recovery: moving beyond stress, trauma, burnout, anxiety, fatigue, and post-illness through embodied awareness 60hr CPD
- Yoga Alliance Senior Yoga Teacher (SYT) 2018 = over 4000 hours spent teaching and training
- Myofascial Movement for Yoga Training Workshop with Gary Carter
- Pranayama CPD Intensive with Roger Cole PhD
- Restorative Yoga 40hr TT Certified with Roger Cole PhD & Yogacampus
- Yoga for Sports 40 hr TT Certified with Jim Harrington & Yogacampus
- Well-Woman Yoga Therapy 40 hr TT Certified with Uma Dinsmore-Tuli & Yogacampus
- Yoga Nidra Foundation Certified with Uma Dinsmore-Tuli & Tuli
- Yoga & The Buddha Subtle body CPD Training with Tias Little
- Riding the Tiger, The Art of Teaching CPD, Sianna Sherman
- 200 hrs Vinyasa Flow Yoga Teacher Training with Claire Missingham
- BA Hons Dance & Performing Arts Degree Middlesex University
- Diploma Shiatsu Massage – Ealing School of Shiatsu
- Table Shiatsu Massage Course with Andrew Staib (European School of Shiatsu)
- City and Guild Teaching Certificate (Sussex Downs College)